1. Transport, like time, is a very relative thing. Even though you are promised a wonderful and new tourist bus, you can often get a ratty old bus that breaks down every 2 hrs. Making a 8hr trip into a 16hr trip.
2. Some signs are not universal. In India, people wobble or shake their head from side to side (imagine trying to touch your right ear to your right shoulder and then your left ear to your left shoulder, and make that motion very slightly from side to side). Although this could be interpreted as a simple NO, it's not. It can means yes, maybe, I agree with you, really not, and it can also be a form of acknowledgment when people see each other or a way to show enthusiasm during a conversation (I am still learning about this sign, so hopefully my understanding is correct).
3. Always give the appropriate amount to people in India. If not, be ready to fight for your change!The first day I arrived in Hampi, I took a small boat across the river. I gave the boat man 20 rupees when we were on the other side and he said, "Ok, good." As I knew that the price was 10 rupees, I said, "No, it's 10, please give me my change." He refuse. So I stood on the boat blocking the way for other people to get off until all the people around were shouting at him and he finally gave me my change. He wasn't aware that we was dealing with a very stubborn lady!
4. When there is a will, there is a way, and the greater the effort, the better the reward, and most often, the best days are also, the most random ones...the ones where you forget or don't even plan to bring your camera (Please read on to my Holi Hampi post).
Wednesday, March 3, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment