Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Holi Hampi!

On the morning of March 1st, I started my day with, Daya, one of the Nepali guys running Bobby's guest house, asking me, "it's Holi today, you're gonna play!?"

Holi is the commemoration of stories and legends from Hindu mythology. Like many Hindu stories, Holi is the reminder of the victory of good over evil as well as the importance of being devoted to God. These rituals and festivals supposedly also remind people of certain religious and cultural values, and helps to strengthen the fabric of society by bringing people together collectively. In addition, Holi is celebrated in the spring when it is time to make a good harvest, which also makes it a time to rejoice and have fun!

During Holi, people throw coloured water or powder on each other all day while music, mostly drums, are played and people dance. It is a time to let go, be free and become the colors of the rainbow!

I barely had time to finish breakfast before the "playing" began. Firstly, one of the guests came out with what looks like a water gun, but instead of being filled with water, it was filled with a liquid colorant...which was a sure sign that the day would be totally wild! Shortly after, I heard screaming coming from various directions and the sounds of loud drum beats, and I knew that Holi had officially started... coloured liquid and powder was being thrown everywhere and on everyone!

I decided that I wanted to go where all the "real" actions was and for that I needed to cross the river (I'm staying on the calm side of the river, but the real Hampi town is on the other side). Unfortunately, the boats that normally cross the river were not going anywhere on Holi. It's the law!

Stubborn as I am, I told myself, "I can find a place to cross the river and if I have to, I'll swim across!". But my local friend, Srikanth, who was accompanying me for the day, can't swim so we had to find another way.



After a few failed attempts to find a spot in the river to cross, we decided to chill out on a high boulder with a view of the river and Hampi. As if coming from the main temple, we could hear drums beating in a slow but frenzied rhythm. As I sat there in the warmth of the sun, in such a beautiful and magical place, I told myself, "No, I must experience Holi, to the fullest!"

Srikanth and I went back down my the river and miraculously found a farmer with a boat (actually more like a saucer made of twigs and plastic!) who could take us across to the other side.

After making it to the other side, we had to go through a rice field, a gigantic banana plantation and then we climbed on top of what looked like a wall...but we actually ended up on a roof, right on top of where the celebration was, with an amazing view! This brought me to think (observation #4), when there is a will, there is a way!


Picture this: About 100 people in the streets of a small town, covered in all kinds of colours from blue to yellow to pink, dancing wildly to the sounds of rhythmic and hypnotizing drum beats, all while screaming, laughing and throwing powder and coloured water on each other!! What a sight to behold! That's when I thought, (reflection #4), the greater the effort, the better the reward. Had I gone across the river easily and joined the crowd, it wouldn't have had the same effect on me. But since I was determined to get there and willing to get wet, dirty and climb all kinds of structures to get there, arriving at the right place, at the right time was absolutely perfect and felt like the best reward ever!

After a little while we decided to join the madness down below. In about 5 minutes, the little colour that I already had was amplified tenfold...I even got blue powder in my mouth and was spitting blue spit for about 10 minutes!! But it was so worth it. To experience pure madness, joy, dancing and wonderful music all at once was superb!

Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera with me that day. I didn't want to get water or power on it...Although I kind of regret it today, I think that it was meant to be cause (reflection #4) the best days are often the most random ones, the ones where you forget or don't even plan to bring your camera.

Me at the end of the day, when I returned to the guest house, all Holied out!

Absolutely amazing! I vote that we bring Holi to Montreal!~ But be warned...the paint doesn't come off very easily...even after two days, most people in Hampi still have have pink skin!!



1 comment:

  1. ABSOLUTELY WICKED!!!
    I Love it, reading you makes me feel like I'm back there in the madness! Awesome picture, I can totaly imagine it! Bring it to Montreal and I'm in!
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete