After a few days in the city and kilometers upon kilometers of walking, I have discovered Mumbai's (aka Bombay's) many sides and facets. From restaurants to temples to seaside promenades and colonial architecture, this place has pleasantly surprised me and has been a good way for me to begin my journey.
Did you ever wonder where clothes are washed in a city like Bombay? And did you try to guess how they get the whites so white in a city with so much pollution, smog and dust? I have! And that's why I visited the Mahalaxmi dhobi ghat. This 140 yr-old dhobi ghat (meaning where clothes are washed) is an open aired, human powered, washing machine with more than 1026 troughs, where every day thousands of kilos of clothes are beaten until clean.
To get there, I took Bombay's local train and was sure to take the women's only cart as I did not want to be "accidently" rubbed on or bumped into. The train is smooth, easy and a great way to get around!
Nearby the dobhi ghat is a mosque that is reached by a long causeway and only accessible at low tide as well as a Hindu temple dedicated to the goddess of wealth.
I discovered one of the most serene places in Bombay almost by accident. After a 1 1/2 hr walk along the seaside, the roads suddenly became very narrow and I found myself in a part of the city unlike any other I have seen: a quiet and small neibourhood of twisting and turning lanes with a sacred water basin. As 13 yr-old Gurjari explained to me: "This is a historical place! The water basin was created by Lord Ram who wanted to give water to his thirsty wife."
The basin is a fantastic place to simply sit while watching pujas (offerings to the gods) being made and listening to songs of worship and prayer. It was really great to have a moment of tranquility to gather my thoughts and to get a glimpse into another side of Bombay, one beyond its modern, hectic, hustling and bustling side.
Oh, and before I forget...not only does Bombay have a ton of great Indian food, they also have their own version of international foods...such as...poutine!! Yes, indeed. I found myself at a little cafe and laughed out loud when I saw poutine on the menu. I had to try it! But little did I know it would look like this:
????!!!! No worries folks, Quebec's poutine is still #1!
Alas, every good thing has an end and it is now time for me to move on! I will be taking my first train ride tonight. Good bye Bombay, hello Panaji!
Sunday, February 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)










Love the poutine! What was the fry dipped in?
ReplyDeleteYa? I also wondered!
ReplyDeleteLove the blog, love the photos, keep it up!
And take good care,
love, Gabs xxx
Nice! Now that I've figured out how this works I am soooo pleased to read your stories! I'm happy you're lovin Mumbai and finding crappy poutine and peaceful places...love the train picture...difference between the men and women cars are phenomenal...not only do you avoid groaping but you could actually breathe!
ReplyDeleteLove you babe, miss ya allready but so excited for you and this crazy amazing indian adventure!
Mali
xxx