We finally settled into a hotel (of our choice!) a stone throw away from the Taj and decided to go explore other city sights in order to leave the Taj for the next morning..
Our first stop was Agra Fort, aka the Red Fort. Originally built as a military structure, it was later converted into a beautiful palace by Shah Jahan (the one who mandated the construction of the Taj) and ironically, it is where Shah Jahan was imprisoned by his own son towards the end of his life.
After the Red Fort we went for some views of the Taj from the back side across the river. From that very first moment, I found the Taj stunning to look at and I was greatly looking forward to the following morning to see it up close and personal.
Not only is the Taj Mahal beautiful to look at, it also has a very interesting story behind it. The Taj Mahal is seen by many as a tribute to undying and deep love. Described by an Indian poet as "a teardrop on the cheek of eternity", it was built by emperor Shah Jahan as a mausoleum, in memory for his favorite wife. Its construction took 21 years, using material from all over Asia/ India and over 1000 elephants to carry the materials, and the total cost has been estimated at over 32 million rupees; an extravagant amount of money for that time. Its entire structure is made of marble and precious stones were engraved in various parts of the designs on the walls. Despite its simplicity (or maybe because of it), the Taj is very elegant and truly magnificent.
Approximately 2 to 4 million people visit the Taj Mahal every year, making it one of India's prime destination for both local and foreign tourists. It is a source of inspiration and many people consider it to be the most beautiful buildings in the world.
We certainly enjoyed it and we think it is a must-see if you come to India!
Unfortunately, Agra wasn't all comforts and pleasure for us. After eating a 20 rupee (approx. 50 cents) thali (an idian meal with rice, curry, dal, etc) or maybe it was the lassi (yogurt drink) from the less than hygienic food stall or maybe it was heatstroke from 50 degree weather, I was severely ill. On the up side, throwing up for 24hrs really makes you appreciate the moments you feel good.
I'm all better now. I went to consult an Ayurvedic doctor who gave me all kinds of natural herb pills along with a diagnostic of my dosha. For those of you who don't know about Ayurvedic medicine, it is an ancient, traditional medicine from India. Being a holistic way to practice medicine, doctors will ask you not only about your diet but also about your lifestyle and state of mind. Basically, they want to know about your body, mind and spirit from which they can determine your dosha and the main element(s) that dominate within you (three categories or combos of these: vata (air/space), pitta (fire/water) and kapha (water/earth).
I found it quite interesting that when I went to consult for some stomach problems, the doctor mostly talked about my mind's capacity for great determination as well as what I need to work on with my relationships with men!
I love it!
ReplyDeleteMight check out some Ayurvedic medicine here!